Founded in 1801 by Napoleon, the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Bordeaux reconstructs, through 8,000 pieces including sculpture and graphic arts, the greatest movements in painting from the 15th to the 20th century: the must-sees Titian, Rubens, Veronese, Van Dyck, Delacroix, Matisse and Picasso rub shoulders with a large group of artists from Bordeaux such as Odilon Redon, Albert Marquet and André Lhote. The neighbouring gallery plays host to temporary exhibitions.
The current Musée des Beaux-Arts was originally a local depot aimed at taking pressure off the Louvre. Its exhibits consist of former royal collections, pieces belonging to emigrants, works seized abroad, purchases and donations.
The museum’s collection began as a local depot to take pressure off the Louvre but is now undergoing a complete transformation.
- 20 cours d’Albret
- 33000 Bordeaux
- T : 05 56 10 20 56